Friday, March 11, 2011

Response to "Earthlings"

     From watching the film "Earthlings" in class, I realized that I am definitely not the sort of person who needs to see animal cruelty for it to have an effect on me. I am heavily burdened by the suffering of animals frequently and I feel a great deal more sympathy towards them than I do towards many people. The situations animals live in are not a matter of choice for them. They have no knowledge of how to improve their circumstances and we are wholly and completely rely on us for their well being. Animals are like babies that never grow up. They are innocent and unable to communicate their needs. The fact that humans can willfully commit acts of cruelty against such beautiful creatures is beyond me. I have never been under the belief that people are greatly superior to animals. I am much of the mindset that we share this planet with a number of creatures and each deserves the right to live peacefully. This is not to say that I will never eat meat or wear leather, I have always believed that humans are meant to consume animals. I believe that we have the knowledge and the technology to prevent cruelty to animals in their execution. If an animal is killed as quickly and painlessly as possible, I believe that we can honor that animal's life by utilizing its body to the fullest potential. What I have the biggest problem with is animals that are not respected in life through neglect and abuse, and then are not respected in death by being wasted and squandered.

1 comment:

  1. I realize the film was difficult for you and that you were able to watch little of it, but this is more a review of Erin on animals that a review of the film. A nice review of Erin on animals, however. Smile.

    ReplyDelete